1. Rent a Jeep and drive through the rain forest to Scenic Drive - you will get the most amazing views of the island! This particular shot is at the far west end above the Renaissance Carambola Resort!
2. Visit Monk's Bath Beach Tide Pool. On the West End not far from Rainbow Beach you will find this gem. Hand carved in the 1600's by the Knights of Malta, it is a relaxing and unique way to enjoy a swim in the sea! Shoes will be necessary for this jaunt!
3. If you are traveling September - March you MUST and I mean MUST visit the Sandy Point National Refuge area. The beach is the most pristine on island. Very reminiscent of the sandy beach at Buck Island National Monument but without having to pay for a boat ride out there! This beach is closed from April - August for turtle nesting. For more information click here.
4. Try out our MANY fantastic restaurants, food trucks and fresh fruits and veggies! I recently visited the new restaurant 1764 in downtown Christiansted, it was to die for if you love gourmet. If you are looking for a taste of local flavor, head over to Villa Morales for some of the best Crucian and Puerto Rican delights. Don't leave without trying the pate and Johnny Cakes, you will not regret either.
5. Head to the West End for a picturesque sunset on the beach. You can definitely view it other places but for the most memorable experience, West is Best!
Explore, explore, explore, you never know what you may find or uncover in St. Croix. All beaches are public (just make sure you are on public land getting there) and most are unmarked.
After years of living in St. Croix most people (myself included) will tell you that they haven't come close to doing all that there is to do. This list is just a start! For more tips feel free to contact us at Memorable Dreams Events for not only your event and wedding needs but also for tips on travel!
Planning a wedding can be hard, especially when you are planning a destination wedding in the Caribbean or anywhere other than your hometown. Things like scouting out venues, buying decor, finding a caterer can be nearly impossible to do from afar. In St. Croix, as well as many other remote island destination wedding locations many, if not most businesses do not have websites. Many island destinations still believe in face to face interactions and phone calls. After all, we live on an island, we don't want to be inside managing websites, we want to be outside soaking up the sun. In our tech crazy, fast paced world though, most people depend on a businesses website to provide the much needed information to us rather than picking up a phone or stopping in to ask questions. Looking to plan a destination wedding? Well, most likely you are not in that destination where you can stop in and talk to your vendors. And Making phone calls? Well that can be tough too - you have to account for language barriers, time differences, cultural differences, etc.
The above is just a quick snapshot of what it takes to plan a destination wedding. There is so much more that goes into it but why should you worry about that? You shouldn't! Destination wedding planners specialize in their destinations. If you are lucky enough to find a planner that also doubles as a designer like we do at Memorable Dreams Events, you literally can do NOTHING except showing up!
Our full service packages can be tweaked to fit most budgets and can include everything from your cake to complete decor packages and car service. Your US Virgin Islands Caribbean wedding should be a memory of a lifetime and should not cause you stress. Memorable Dreams Events will be your lifeline when planning your USVI destination wedding. Enjoy your day and create your Memorable Dream.
Well let's be honest, there are more than 3 things you SHOULD know when planning a wedding but these 3 things are the things you NEED to know in order to successfully pull off your dream wedding!
1. First and most importantly, always remember that it is your wedding, not your parents wedding, not your sisters wedding and not your best friends wedding. So many brides let others take control of the most important and memorable day of their lives and end up resentful. Sure your parents or future in laws may be footing part if not the entire bill but it's not their wedding! If you want a vegan, gluten-free, kosher menu, that's up to you! You of course want to try to comprise on some things to ensure your guests have a great time but you don't need to give up on your dream to make that happen.
2. Stay calm, level headed and sane, after all, this is supposed to be the happiest day of your life. So many brides become crazed over every little detail and forget what this day is really about - love and happiness! So what if you gained 3 pounds or your flowers were supposed to be pink but arrived blue. Yes, please try to make your day perfect but don't kill yourself and drive friends, family or your future spouse away in the process. In the end, all that matters is that the two of you show up.
3. Hire an event planner. So many times people don't think they can afford to hire someone to help but honestly, hiring a professional may actually save you money in the end. You may not be able to afford full planning services but many planners offer consulting or day of services also. If you truly can't afford to hire someone, find a friend or family member that you trust and that is even keeled to help you, pay them with a gift card or a small gift of cash. Another option, look at event planning programs at local colleges and get a student at a low cost or even free. If they are trying to gain references and experience you may get them for next to nothing . The biggest thing with hiring someone to help you with planning and execution is finding someone that you trust and that you connect with.
Ultimately, you are in control of how your wedding turns out. Things may and probably will go wrong, it might rain, the fondant on your cake may melt in the summer heat but none of that will matter if you allow yourself to truly relax, enjoy the day and let others help you without becoming a controlling bridezilla or without letting them take control of you.
Lori Konkler knew how much she loved helping people to realize their dreams and for many years in the hotel industry had the opportunity to do just that! In 2016 Lori relocated to the island of St. Croix to realize her own dream of becoming an independent event planner and helping people achieve their own Memorable Dreams through their weddings and events.